CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

13 February 2009

I am SO here right now...

So, did I ever tell you I went to therapy for a while? Actually, I was in and out of therapy a few times, but could only ever find therapists that wanted to talk about how everything that is wrong with me is my mother's fault and would I like more drugs? Not that either of those is necessarily bad. I do believe that some of my problem is my mother (which is one reason that I'm so distressed about how I interact with my daughter), and drugs would be great if I didn't overreact to them.

But.

I wanted therapy that would actually help me. Help me stop the stupid behaviors. Great, thanks, now I know where they came from; can we do the things that will stop them now? Can we work on cutting the loop in my head now? But no, they just wanted to keep talking about my mother and all the men I'd been sleeping with.

Then I accidentally fell into the best therapist ever. And what he did was amazing. He told me to cut the bullshit. To stop acting like a selfish brat and eventually I'd stop feeling like a selfish brat. That, no matter HOW I was feeling at any given moment, I needed to behave in accordance with my own internal moral compass and do the right thing. Eliminating cognitive dissonance would help.
So, for a year or two I:
quit smoking
had sex with my husband even when I didn't want to
didn't yell at my child (mostly)
talked to people I didn't know or like
wrote

I lived in the moment. I appreciated what I was doing. I....think I mostly may have just been in a repressive fugue.

I WANTED to do it. I did. I DO. But I think now there might have been a teensy tiny need for me to be spewing some "look what my mother did to me" crap.

So now I'm back to the spewing. Can I spew and be living in the moment and appreciating life and doing the right thing, no matter how depressed I am?

I'm going to give that one more week.

Then I'm going to work on how messed up I am when it comes to time, deadlines and scheduling.

(But I did lose enough weight in the last 3 weeks to fit into my skinny jeans that a month ago I couldn't pull over my thunder thighs, and I haven't had a cigarette...until today, and that was only because I was drinking with my BFF and just wanted one. Or four. But I'm good; patch back on now!)

5 comments:

  1. Your therapist was... no IS right.
    Behave the way you believe is right.
    If it doesn't seem correct, then change what you believe.

    Most importantly, you mother only 'did' things, you believed her and incorporated them into yourself. Blaming her only goes so far. What you really need to learn is how to remove the influences she placed/places on you.

    Let me know if you need help with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with spewing, I do a bit of it myself.

    And: a therapist telling you all that? Weird. Most of them just want to talk about how parents **** us all up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long time listener, first time caller. My dad used to whip my ass for no reason. I mean he used to beat me up bad. And the yelling, I swear the man never talked to me, all he ever did was yell. My poor mom was helpless. But I think I turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh...I love a good spew! And why don't you have a link for me to become your follower?? How will I know when you do something new and exciting over here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how to do that! It's not on my default! Lemme go see if I can finger it out...

    The spot could take some tips from myspace on the blog format. Well, the OLD format, anyway.

    Thanks K, I'm trembling that you want to follow me. Excuse me for a moment. :)

    ReplyDelete